Sunday, July 8, 2012

Pillow Pockets for Preschool Fundraiser


Every May my sons preschool has their annual silent auction/fundraiser.  Typically anyone who owns a business donates something and any of the Moms that sew/craft/crochet donate something handmade.  It is so much fun to see all of the handmade items donated!  All of the money raised goes directly to the preschool to help offset tuition costs for the following school year and for new toys and teaching supplies.

I wasn't sure what to make...I wanted it to be something that wasn't too time consuming (as I waited till the last minute) and I wanted it to be something that the parents would actually buy (because if no one bid on my stuff I was going to cry. Ha!).  And then I remembered this adorable pattern by Nova at A Cuppa and a Catch Up.  I made the above two pillows for my kiddos a few weeks earlier and they LOVED them!  They thought it was so cool to have their own pocket pillow to put their stuff in!
So I took the evening and made two pillow covers for the auction.  I made these ones a little different than the pattern.  I just did a plain envelope back closure and didn't do a binding (in the interest of saving time), and they still turned out great!  I made one for a boy and one for a girl.  Then I went shopping with the kiddos and asked them to pick a few toys to stuff them with.  We ended up with a flashlight that glows pink or red, a level two preschool reading book and a stuffed animal to cuddle at bedtime.  Everyone loved them!  They were both purchased by one of the other Moms that has a little boy and a little girl.  The two pillows together raised over $130.00 for the preschool!  I am planning on making them for the auction again this year!


Have a great week!
Cherie  :)


Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

1 comment: